Polwheveral is a beautiful quiet wooded creek on the north side of the Helford. It’s home year-round to herons and scores of little egrets as well as migrating curlews and oystercatchers. Scott’s Quay, where Polwheveral and Polpenwith creeks divide, was built in the early 1800s to load granite from the quarries above Constantine.
The original much larger quay deteriorated and was replaced by the present quay in 1932 mainly to encourage public access to the river. A footpath leads down the hill from Doctor’s Lane in Constantine via Goongillings.